The model who lost her leg to toxic shock syndrome has had surgery to amputate the other.
Lauren Wasser, 29, lost her left leg last week after having the right amputated in 2012 when she contracted the life-threatening infection toxic shock syndrome (TSS) from using a super-plus tampon while on her period.
The Los Angeles-based model revealed last month that she would ‘inevitably’ lose her left leg because she was in ‘daily excruciating pain’ as a result of the TSS.
‘Life is about to be so different, again! I’m in great spirits though and ready for my next chapter,’ Wasser said in an Instagram post.
The double below-the-knee amputee will continue to advocate about the potential risks associated with tampons as she gets accustomed to her new prosthetic.
Since last week’s surgery, Wasser has had visitors including Paralympian Amy Purdy, who is also a double amputee.
Wasser’s body had produced calcium which caused the bones on her remaining foot to grow as her brain’s way of telling the missing toes to grow back.
‘My left foot has an open ulcer, no heel, and no toes,’ she wrote last month in an op-ED featured in InStyle. ‘I’m in daily excruciating pain.’
She has needed surgery to shave down the bone because it became too unbearable to walk.
Wasser also could not wet her foot due to the open ulcer – something that is difficult for the California-born model.
‘In a few months, I’m inevitably going to have my other leg amputated. There’s nothing I can do about it. But what I can do is help make sure that this doesn’t happen to others,’ she said.
The model is now an advocate by pushing legislation urging the National Institutes of Health to help test feminine hygiene products to determine they are safe.
Wasser is advocating for a bill called the Robin Danielson Act, named after a woman who died from TSS in 1998, which directs the National Institutes of Health to do research on the potential health risks of feminine hygiene products.
The bill has been introduced 10 times and has never come to a vote before the full House of Representatives.
She has spoken publicly about her condition and given a TED Talk to share her story.
The model was 24 when she fell ill after using a tampon.
She was found in her apartment 10 minutes from death, face down, unconscious on her bedroom floor covered in feces and vomit, after her mother called police for a wellness check when she had not heard from her for a while.
While in the hospital her fever reached 107 degrees, she suffered a heart attack and her organs began to fail before she was put into a medically induced coma.